Our expert medical and surgical intervention continues to make a difference in the lives of thousands of people who visit CHMC. Inpatient surgical capabilities include operating suites equipped with the latest technology for both elective and emergency procedures.
Whether it is a planned general, orthopedic, ophthalmic surgery, or emergency surgery, the surgical team at California Hospital has only one goal: to provide the best patient care possible. With this, the safety, satisfaction, and peace of mind of our patients and their loved ones are of primary importance.
Preparing for Your Surgery
A member of the pre-operative team will call you before surgery. Take this time to ask any questions or raise any concerns you may have.
- Complete all necessary preoperative testing
- Do not take aspirin or aspirin products two weeks prior to surgery, unless instructed by your physician
- Do not take valuables with you to the hospital
- Be prepared to arrive two hours before your scheduled surgery
- Bring your insurance card
- Any forms / paperwork from your doctor's office
- Advanced healthcare directive (you can also prepare one at the hospital - just ask your preoperative nurse)
Family and Friends of Surgical Patients
Your family and friends who accompany you can wait in our waiting area. When your surgical procedure is completed, your family will be called to speak with the surgeon.
Patients are taken to the Recovery Unit after surgery, where only the medical team is allowed. Following recovery, patients are transferred to their room, where visitors are allowed.